DIY Newspaper Gift Bag

This newspaper gift bag is a cute way to wrap a birthday present for a friend! It’s super easy and lots of fun! I used the comic section, but go ahead and use any other section or kind of paper you like!

Thanks to www.howaboutorange.blogspot.com for all the basics for this tutorial!

You’ll need

• 2 sheets of newspaper
  • glue
  • also super glue if you want
  • ribbon or string
  • card stock

First, stack 2 pieces of newspaper onto of each other. Then cut out a rectangle that’s 15.5″ wide and 8.25″ tall. Now flip the side of the paper over which you would like to be on the outside of the bag.

Fold along the lines listed in the picture above, creating 5 rectangles across and a fold on the top and bottom.

Cut two pieces of card stock to 4.25″ x 1″, and glue them on the widest two panels just under the top fold. This will help keep the rim of the bag sturdy. Glue the top flap down along the length of the bag, covering the card stock. Since the bag is two-ply, you’ll need to glue both flap pieces down one at a time.

Put glue on the outside of the 0.5″ tab and bring the left-most panel over to form the body of the bag, aligning the cut edge of the panel with the folded edge of the flap. Add a little more glue to make sure the outermost sheet of newsprint gets tacked down, too.

Now we have to close the bottom. Fold the short sides inward as if you were wrapping a present. You could also lay the bag on its side and crease those folds against the table to make it easier.

Put glue on both flaps and then fold them inward to close the bag. To secure this, you can add some more super glue, or also sit the bag upright and press down from the inside.

Cut a piece of card stock to 4″ x 2.5″ and glue it to the bottom of the bag.

Poke holes in the side of the bag, and then put through ribbon or string and tie a knot so it doesn’t slip out.

Now you have a great gift bag to fancy up a present for a friend! You can use all kinds of paper. Next time I think I’ll try some sheet music!

Enjoy!

About these ads
This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to DIY Newspaper Gift Bag

1. Patti says:

Creative & cute bag

2. Pingback: Embalagens alternativas (e fofas!) « Lavô tá novo!

3. Marina says:

Brilliant! I always end up spending way too much money on gift wrap and packaging during the holidays, and this is a perfect alternative! Thank you for sharing! I hope you don’t mind I’ve linked this idea in one of my blog posts :)

4. riatarded says:

that’s so adorable! I am definitely going to try this at home!

5. must try this! thank you for charíng!

6. Keri says:

This is such an awesome idea…so eco-chic!

7. maria says:

This is such a cool idea.

8. Pingback: 35 + Paper Craft Tutorials & Resources | GIF Peanut Butter

9. Pam says:

What a great idea. I am definetly going to do this!!!

10. Ilva says:

Boa idéia para fazer com as crianças na escola.

11. GG says:

Was asked last night to make a gift bag from newspapers for our local Newspaper to use for their gifts to the childrens home in December, so this has really come in handy. Will make and then show the editor and staff how to make them. Thanks for the great article
    GG

12. Valéria De Luca says:

Uma idéia criativa e simples!
    Uma ótima combinação!

13. jaymers says:

Simple and cute, my favorite kind of craft! Love!

14. Gabby says:

I am going to make tons of those bags for Christmas!

15. Chris says:

I have a TON of Christmas/everything wrapping paper, but sometimes it is easier to use a bag for time saving purposes or odd shaped gifts. I wonder if I could use up some wrapping paper to pre-make some gift bags out of them and then have them ready to use. I hate buying bags when I have too much wrapping paper already I love the idea of upcycling cereal boxes as well! I have started shopping at BJ’s for the first time, and throw away so much cardboard packaging =/ My apartment complex doesn’t have recycling =( Now, I might be able to use it for good! Do these bags fold at all for storing them?

16. thekittchen says:

Love this idea. I live in Chicago but celebrate Christmas at my parents house in Maine. I always ship the gifts to my parents house and have little time to wrap the gifts once I arrive in Maine. I could make these bags ahead of time and easily wrap my gifts. Thanks!

17. Stephany Jones says:

Love this. Can’t wait to try this, my grandkids are going to be excited to get these. Thanks for the idea. Will be making a lot of these from now own.You Rock !!!!!!!

18. anne says:

you lost me here: “Cut two pieces of card stock to 4.25″ x 1″, and glue them on the widest two panels just under the top fold.” To me “widest two panels” means there is one on the left and one on the right. So am I supposed to separate the two pieces of newspaper? and glue the sides together? this is confusing. you need more photos to show more step by step directions for those of us who are new to crafting. i just feel frustrated.

19. Pingback: Designer MacGyver: 7 Clever Newspaper Crafts |