DIY Circle Scarf

If you’re one of those people who needs a last minute Christmas present, a friend’s birthday is coming up, or you just would love a circle scarf, this tutorial might be awesome for you! I was so surprised when I went into American Apparel and saw their circle scarves for $34! I decided to figure out how to make one for way less, because I knew it would be super easy.

One thing different from the regular tutorials out there is that I doubled up the fabric on my scarves. First I did this because I was using a very thin polyester material, but then I continued using it even though I had a t-shirt material. I found that it gave the scarf a fullness and made it a lot thicker!

Step 1

First begin with a rectangular piece of material (40 inches x 70 inches).

Fold it over lengthwise, so the right sides are facing each other, and then sew along the lengthwise opening.

Step 2

Next, reach one arm all the way through the tube at the seam, and grab a hold of the end. Pull the end under and back through the tube so that it comes to math the end at the top. I know this may sound a bit confusing, so I have a video here showing you how to do it!

Step 3

Now once you have matched up the sides, and you have another tube, sew it, leaving an opening about 3 inches before you finish.

Step 4

Using the opening, turn the scarf right side out. Then use a whip stitch to  close that opening. Then, VOILA! Finished!

I hope this tutorial gives you a great present and an awesome new accessory (for way less!).

About these ads
This entry was posted in DIY and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to DIY Circle Scarf

1. The video really helped!!! Thanks!!! I will have to try this :)

2. Jennanana says:

Super! I don’t get the chance to sew very often but I must try this out! You made a very clean and helpful tutorial =}

3. Hiya says:

i love it! don have time to sew bcuse on vacation…. any other ideas? anyways really cool! i must try it out!

• SaveMe;) says:

well, any sewer (including myself) would hate this idea, but i find that hot glue would work. i once used it instead of sewing. it worked but my mom was horrified.

4. Pingback: …DIY circle scarf. « mademoiselleena

5. SaveMe;) says:

i really dont get step three. do i sew the sides or close up the tube?

6. erin says:

Thank you for this!!!

7. Li-Sha says:

thanks! this is the best circle scarf tutorial yet! :)

8. Pingback: Hey girl. I made you a gift. | Sew Knit Click

9. Pingback: Sewing | Pearltrees

10. Hayley says:

This video really helped! I definitely tried to make one a few months ago and it didn’t go so well.. try more tube less scarf. :/

11. Nicole says:

what is the 20 inch by 70inch piece of fabric for? Is it just another option for the scarf? This is great tutorial and I’m defiantly going to make lots of these! Thanks!

12. Sarah says:

I found this super helpful, Thanks!! And cute dress in the video!

13. Kirsten says:

is the dimensions you gave already doubled? you said you liked to double it because you had thin fabric. So if I have thin fabric am I good to use the 70×40? or do I double that??

14. Pingback: Fall Must Haves & Wish List | D. Sells Seashells

15. Pingback: DIY Infinite Scarf

16. Lori says:

After the video part.. Wear do I sew? Across the matched up side to close it off? I’m a little confused hah

17. Pingback: DIY Holiday Gift Ideas | Mom Spark™ - A Blog for Moms - Mom Blogger

18. theresa says:

I just made my mom a gorgeous Christmas present in 5 minutes!!! Thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

19. Krysta says:

I love this tutorial. I need to make a couple of scarves with some of my favorite fabrics. Also I need one for game day work at the football stadium in the university’s fabric. I must make before winter comes. :)

20. kaitlyn fortier says:

i’m looking to make a scarf for my little one, she’s 18 months. how big of a piece of fabric do you think i should use?

21. Kim says:

I must be completely missing something! On step 4 when I pull the fabric right side out through my 3 inch whole I end up with a very wide kneck (long scarf). Before turning it right side out, the neck whole is perfect.

22. Mary says:

Great tutorial and video. I need one clarification. When you say to double up the fabric, do you start with two layers of fabric and then fold them over to sew and form the tube? In other words, is the scarf a double tube? Thanks!

23. Samantha says:

So I just completed this tutorial – made it a Toddler Version – using 30 x 50 ( 15×25 folded ) Turned out wonderful!

24. leahbugg says:

What kind of material did you use? I’m trying to make some scarves for spring :)

25. T says:

Wait, 70 inches?? :O wow thats a lot, is it inches or centimeters??