DIY Wrap Headphones

I got the idea to make these from the DIY wrap bracelets I made a little while ago. These headphones were all white before, and since I had the coloured string left over from the bracelet tutorial, I decided to try it!

To start off, take the string and tie a knot with it around one of the wires. You can use one colour, or as many colours as you want. Once you have the knot set, start wrapping. Make sure you have a lot of string because you don’t want to run out halfway down the wire and have to tie another knot and start over again.

If you want, you can add beads along the way to jazz it up a bit. Once you get to the end of that wire, tie another knot to secure, and you’re done.

I thought these turned out pretty good, but I didn’t like the look of the knots all over the headphones. Next time, I’m going to try super gluing the string around the wire. I also was a lot more happy with the look of two different string colours. If you make any mistakes along the way, the two colours hide them better!

Let me know if you are going to try this! And if you do, send me a link to the picture!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to DIY Wrap Headphones

1. Christine says:

Brilliant! I just realized I could do this with the millions of wires and cords all over my house. It would make telling the difference between them (and from friends’ cords as well) much easier. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Alice says:

Was wrapping the thread around the cords all you had to do?
    Don’t you have to knot it so it doesn’t come loose?

3. Rachel says:

I love this idea! What kind of string did you use?

4. Lexi says:

What kind of string did you use?

5. Allyson says:

Oh wow this is so creative! I will for sure be trying this out on an old pair of ear buds! I would love to feature this tutorial on my blog sometime, and of course I will link back to your wonderful blog! Do you think this would work with embroidery thread, like the kind used for friendship bracelets?

• yourstrulyg says:

Oh wow thank you so much! And yes- I was actually going to use that kind of thread to begin with, but didn’t have any in the house and was to lazy to get some haha! It will definitely work!

6. Allyson says:

Awesome thank you so much! I just loved this idea and am doing it on my own headphones haha, awesome for a string addiction! I am actually just starting out blogging for my handmade business and its great to find others crafting such amazing things! I will be making the post tonight and will link back to you 100%!

7. Stephanie says:

I used embroidery thread. I worked wonderfully! I love it!

8. I used embroidery thread too. I used one strand with a red ombre and one strand with a blue ombre, they look really awesome! Thanks!

9. Anna says:

I used your snazzy idea to dress up my headphones but it has unraveled ๐Ÿ˜ฆ now I am sad. I guess I didn’t wrap or tie it tight enough. Possibly both.
    Just thought I’d share my wrapping woes so you could maybe help others to learn from my mistakes.
    -Anna-

• Dave says:

you might like to use a very small drop of super glue on the string at both ends at the knots.

This will stop any untwisting and also help ensure the knots dont come loose.

10. Laura says:

Love this! I used to make friendship bracelets all the time and I have a ton of string left over, I’m totally going to try this!! ๐Ÿ˜€

11. Alice says:

I did this with Yarn, how did you stop the ends from unraveling?

12. nick says:

very nice people should do this more often

13. Anna says:

I did the same basic thing with crochet cotton size 10 (rainbow!!) and I single crocheted around the cord. It has a line of knots up the side, but I still really like it. The cotton has a very fast repeat of rainbow, which looks great. The single crochet also will never come unraveled, save for if you don’t weave the ends back through. It helps a great deal with the cord becoming tangled in my pocket. I love this craft!!

14. Kelsey says:

I just made these last night using the same embroidery string that I use during the summer to make friendship bracelets- this is SUCH an adorable idea and already on my way to work I’ve gotten compliments on them! I knotted it using the ‘Chinese staircase’ pattern used to make bracelets (http://shifu.people.com.cn/?p=215) which gives the same effect as wrapping but just makes it a bit tighter and reduces the risk of it coming unraveled! Lovely, and I can’t wait to do it to all of my random pairs I have floating around!

15. Jusjusjus says:

I looooooved the idea!
    So… i made it (:
    and here’s the result

16. These are mine ๐Ÿ™‚ They’re almost finished, I used the thread that you use to make friendship bracelets. http://twitter.com/4evyyy/status/128575928002555904/photo/1

17. tara says:

So, how do you start it? Just wrap it around and around???? I’m confused..

18. megan says:

how do you use multiple colors?!

19. jenna says:

how do you do it with different colors?

20. Suzanne says:

This is a great idea to help keep the cords untangled. My earbuds are always a tangled mess. I am going to do this for my daughter using her college school colors.

21. nicole says:

my sister wants headphones like these so imma put a twist on it with the colors its such a great idea but about how long of yarn should i get?

22. Pingback: Fashion by carolinaqueiroz - Pearltrees

23. May says:

i was wondering if your string ever started coming apart? do you think i should put clear nail polish to cover the embroidery thread? that way it doesn’t frizzle.

24. Angie says:

How do you wrap it?

25. Brittany says:

Man, it took me forever but I finally got it done! I could only do the bottom half, where it split off to the two ear buds was too little and wouldn’t stay tight, but I still love the result. I put super glue on the knots for extra hold also.

26. Anna says:

Hey, I was trying this with my headphone, and it took soooo long to do, is it supposed to take so long? or am I doing it wrong?

27. Staci says:

This took me forever, but it looks so awesome!!! I’ve got some random knots, but I underestimated how much string I’d need, I still love it though! Such a great idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Brooke Bartlett says:

sooooooo trying this it looks so cute. and i have apple earphones and they have a divider but imma try it anyway

29. Rachel says:

I made a pair. They came out so good. Now all my friends want me to do it for them. Feel free to check them out.

30. rachel says:

i love this especially because I have cats and it protects the cords from them chewing on them.

31. Apple says:

Having troubles with it…. Do you think you could upload a video? You don’t have to do all I just need to know how to start it off and finish it

32. Sofi Anne says:

Im definitely doing this! And i will pin you ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Pingback: DIY!!! | Pearltrees

34. Pingback: liz (eharries) | Pearltrees

35. Renee says:

I liked this so much! I used one color for one of them but I’d like to do two. Is there a different way in making it with two colors? How did you make it look like yours ?

36. Nicole says:

I did It and i like my headphones 10 times better now. (: This is really cool and really creative.

37. Kaebra says:

I’m currently doing a pair and I love it! How did you tie it off to keep it from unraveling?

38. Pingback: fer (feroro) | Pearltrees

39. Pingback: DIY: Pretty EarPhones

40. Elizabeth E. says:

Definitely doing this! *finds embroidery thread* Because I have earphones that are like two separate cords stuck together at the bottom, and I always pull those apart, and they get super tangled. Also my cat chews on them ALL THE TIME.

41. Vidhi Parikh says:

Its supercool !!
    What kinda thread you use ? like a jute one cotton one ? which one ?

42. Marianne says:

How long does this take to do?

43. Bea says:

wow, so interesting! i will definitely try this with my headphones!

44. jess says:

i love this !! i’d be so excited if i saw someone with these on the bus or something, i really want to to do this ๐Ÿ˜€

45. lindsay says:

It definitely took me two hours to do! I used embroidery thread as well but with a dark to light gradient.. turned out amazing I think!

Embroidery wrapped my headphones today! So proud.

A post shared by Rรณzsa (@hellorozsa) on