DIY Lip Balm

This fun recipe will give you a great organic lip balm! All you need are a few simple ingredients. You can add in more essential oils to this recipe if you want to, or other things you think would go well with the “recipe”. This will make 3 lip balms.

You’ll need:

• 1/4 cup of beeswax
  • 3 tbs organic shea butter
  • 2 tbs organic safflower oil
  • 2 tsp essential oil (I used peppermint)
  • 3 containers

Microwave the beeswax, shea butter and safflower oil until it has turned into a liquid.

Once all melted, mix in your essential oils, and some food colouring if you want it. Make sure you do this quickly, because the liquid will cool very quickly.

Pour all of this into your containers and let cool. I put mine into the freezer just to make sure it was all done!

Create your own little label like I did, or just leave it blank. This is a great way to reuse old lip balm containers, and is a great Christmas/birthday present idea!

Have fun!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to DIY Lip Balm

1. Sandra says:

Is there anywhere you can purchase new containers?

2. Laura says:

Where can I purchase containers like this?

3. ida says:

you are brilliant, thank you for all your DIYs! 😀

4. littlegirlcook says:

Where would you find beeswax?

5. catherine says:

Can you boil these ingredients on the stove lady?

6. Lacey Repper says:

Do you know how to add SPF to the recipe??

7. This is amazing! Thank you for sharing the tutorial

8. Jessica C. says:

Any ides if you can substitute coconut oil for safflower oil?

9. Evelyn says:

I love this, but where can you get any of these ingredients? I haven’t seen them around.

10. Regina says:

Awesome idea…what type/size labels did you use?

11. Pingback: Manual by wassilli - Pearltrees

12. Sara says:

This looks incredible and I’m going to try it tonight! My only question is how did you get the melted ingredients into the tubes? I’m going to use the screw top smaller/rounder containers (really bead containers from my local craft store) and I don’t want to spill anything. Any advice is appreciated! 🙂

13. Emma says:

Thanks for this! I have a half batch cooling now in their containers 🙂 I added a teeny shaving of lipstick to make it a pale pink. Can’t wait to try it out!

14. Sarah says:

*Don’t put in micro, it changes the molecular structure of your ingredients. If you don’t have a double burner, Just put a glass measuring cup inside a low to med heated pot of water.

15. Sarah says:

Oh and ‘Old Time Soap Company’ online has tons of ingredients and supplies for pretty cheap. 😀

16. Doreen says:

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/ is a good place to find lip balm tubes too.

17. Pingback: Make Your Own Lip Balm! 10 + Resources | GIF Peanut Butter

18. Rmp says:

How did you get the food colOrong to dissolve? It basically stuck to the bottom and looked like polka dots… Any suggestions? 🙂

19. Pingback: The Lip Balm Tube, a.k.a. Chapstick « Trash Backwards

20. Betty Jo Haworth says:

I got my containers from my dollar store and they work just great.

21. Dawn says:

Love this idea

22. Debs Brown says:

I love this idea, and am enjoying all the comments/experiments that have followed! It will definitely be something I’ll be making for christmas presents this time round! Thanks.

23. Isabella says:

Love it.. linked to you in my blog, hope that’s ok 🙂
    Love, Isabella ❤

24. you can also use cool aid for the colouring and great flavour… and i have also heard of people using jolly rancher candies!

25. Briana says:

Great recipe! I think I’ll try it. I find it ironic, however, that you took all the trouble of purchasing organic ingredients and then melted them in a plastic container in the microwave.

26. Shelby says:

What can be used to make it a tinted lip balm?

27. Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

28. Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction
    of a good platform.

29. Loretta says:

The cost of making these would be great.. Cost of all ingredients

30. lisa says:

does shea butter have a strong scent. is it hard to mask with the essential oils or a vanilla scent?

31. Rosemary says:

How do you make the labels?

32. Rosemary says:

Thanks;) but what size did you use? Thanks for the response! I’ve been going crazy! Lol

33. sevena says:

If you want your lip balm to add color to your lips just add about 1/2 a crayon in your favorite lipstick color. Works GREAT! !