DIY Paper Wallet

Remember when everyone had duct tape wallets? Now you can have a paper one instead!

Pick up any paper that you have in the house. I used an old map, because it is a bit thicker than standard paper, but you can use anything. If you feel that this will wear out too fast for you, try taking some plastic or another material. What first comes to mind for me is a reusable bag.

It only takes 5 minutes, so grab your paper and scissors! It makes an AMAZING way to give a gift card or money for a present!

You’ll need:

• paper (minimum 8.5 x 11)
  • scissors
  • optional: glue

Begin by cutting the paper to 8.5 x 11. If you would like the wallet to be a bit bigger, change the dimensions to whatever suits you. Flip the side of the paper you’d like on the outside of you’re wallet so it is facing down on the table. Fold your paper into 8 equal rectangles.

Take your scissors and cut one inch slit in folds on the lengthwise sides of the paper.

Fold the paper horizontally so one end matches up with the first fold on the opposite side.  Fold all this vertically, so you now have a small rectangle. On the corner where you have the most layers of paper, cut a small triangle. Make sure you open the paper to see if a debit card or other card will fit in the diamond now created.

Now that the paper is unfolded, fold down the flaps above and below the diamond and the ones on the opposite end. Beginning with the end closest to the diamond, fold the paper inwards one section and repeat on the opposite end. fold this rectangle with an opening in the centre in half horizontally.

By this time you should see the structure of a wallet. Take the two flaps hanging out the ends and tuck them into the holes in the ends of the wallet on the layer with the diamond. Reinforce the flaps with glue if you’d like.

And there’s your brand new paper wallet!

Please let me know how it goes and don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the comments. I have a feeling I may need to make a quick video for you all to see 🙂

Advertisements
This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to DIY Paper Wallet

1. nikki says:

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!!

2. sharlette says:

Yikes. More pix,or a video, or perhaps parts labeled with capital letters ie fold A to B, C to D etc would be really helpful for those of us who are craft impaired:)! This is a wonderful project and I have lots of old paper goods I’ve been saving for just this kind of thing! Thanks.

3. jewelryrage says:

Great Post, really like this!
    jewelryrage.com

4. Gabby says:

I just made one for my bother! It turned out really well! Thanks!

5. Brenda says:

Thanks for sharing this! I am using them for my Sunday School class. I added text with Photoshop that says “God loves a cheerful giver 2 Corinthians 9:7” (and then printed 12) It is a preschool/Kindergarten class, so I have pre-folded and cut everything. I will let them fold them all up on their own. This will be perfect for our lesson on giving. Thanks!

6. Shantel says:

I love this tutorial! I made a paper wallet from this tutorial a few years ago and it finally wore out to the point where it looked like I needed a new one. It lasts so long, even with being in your pocket for hours! It being made of printer paper, I thought I would need a new one after a month. Ironically it lasted for two years. Thanks so much for posting the video!

7. Pingback: 32 Inventive Uses for Old Maps DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade - DIY Projects & Creative Crafts – How To Make Everything Homemade

8. Jojo says:

Spray the whole thing with clear lacquer acrylic spray to make it water resistant!

9. Janice says:

I just made several using sheer stationary, good to take to places where you do not want to take your thick wallet to hold a card and a few bills. Like going to an NFL game, just slip it in your pocket.